CURRENT ACADEMIC POSITION:
• Exceptional-Class Professor of Neurosciences - University Paul Sabatier Toulouse III.
• Deputy Director and Founder of the Research Center on Animal Cognition (CRCA), CNRS Institute N° 5169 .
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Center of Integrative Biology of Toulouse, CNRS Research Federation
Centre de Recherches sur la Cognition Animale (CRCA).
UMR 5169, CNRS – Université de Toulouse ‘Paul Sabatier’.
118 route de Narbonne - 31062 Toulouse cedex 9.
RESEARCH TOPICS & APPROACHES:
My research focuses on invertebrate learning and memory at different organization levels, from behavior to molecules . My team uses 'bottom-up' and 'top-down' approaches and research tools from neurobiology, neuroethology, experimental psychology, computational neurosciences and molecular biology in order to characterize and understand the neuronal and molecular mechanisms underlying associative learning in bees and other insects. The multidisciplinary approach adopted in my research, which is also at the core of the institute I have founded in Toulouse, allows a better characterization of the cognitive richness and mechanisms of an animal model and provides a multi-faceted view of cognitive problems, which can be hardly understood from a single perspective.
This approach allows me, in addition, to lead various federate projects allying different scientific communities such as the creation of the Research Center on Animal Cognition, the creation of the Axis Molecular, Cellular and Behavioral Neurosciences of the Center of Integrative Biology of Toulouse, and the former presidency of the National Committee ‘Brain, Behavior, Cognition’ (section 26) of the French Research Council (CNRS), among others.
ACADEMIES & LEARNED SOCIETIES
• 2018: Elected member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Belgium
• 2007-now: Elected member of the German National Academy of Sciences, Leopoldina, Germany.
• 2012-2017: Elected Senior Member of the Institut Universitaire de France (IUF) , France.
• 2003-2007: Elected Junior Member of the Institut Universitaire de France (IUF), France.
AWARDS, PRIZES & OTHER HONORS
• 2016: French Prize ‘Golden Bee’ granted by Yann-Arthus Bertrand & the French Beekeeping Society.
• 2016-now: Elected member of the scientific council of Universcience, the City of Sciences and the Discovery Palace of the city of Paris.
• 2016: Elected Chair of the International Congress of Neurothology, Montevideo, Uruguay.
• 2013: International Prize of Science & Technology "Raices" of the Argentinean Government.
• 2012: Visiting professor of Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, P.R. China.
• 2009: Prize ‘Research Laurels’ of the city of Toulouse, France.
• 2010 Honorary professorship, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xishuangbanna, P.R. China.
• 2007: Silver Medal of the CNRS, France.
• 2006: Honorary professorship, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Xishuangbanna, P.R. China.
• 2004: Elected Chair of the International Congress of Neurothology, Nyborg, Denmark.
• 2004: Prize "Buenos Aires Piensa" (Thinking Buenos Aires) of the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
• 2003-now: Elected member of Faculty of 1000 - Section Behavioral Neurosciences.
• 2001: Young Investigator Award - Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP).
• 1996-1998: Invited Member of the Research Initiative RULE (Rule-Related Knowledge and Rule-Related Learning in Biological Systems) of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences.
• 1996-1998: Fellow of the German-American Council in Neuroethology – Three years of continuous scientific activities in USA and Germany funded by this institution.
• 1995: Prize King Baudouin for Young Scientific Talents of the International Foundation for Science (Stockholm, Sweden) and the King Baudouin Foundation (Belgium).
• 1994-1996: Alexander von Humboldt research fellowship.
• 1990-1993: DAAD Postdoctoral research fellowship.
• 1990: Third World Young Investigator Award of the International Foundation for Science (Stockholm, Sweden).