Lino Manuel Martins Gonçalves, was born in Loulé, south of Portugal, in 1960. He obtained his MD degree at the University of Coimbra Medical School, in 1984. In 1994, he received a Master degree in Cellular Biology from the University of Coimbra Biology School. In 2000, he obtained his PhD degree in Cardiology from the University of Coimbra Medical School.
In terms of postgraduate training, he did his General Internship at the Coimbra University Hospital (1985-1986), and his Cardiology Fellowship in the same hospital (1987-1991). He worked as Visiting Associate at the National Institutes of Health’s Cardiology Branch (Bethesda, USA), from 1997 to 1998.
His professional qualifications are:
• Cardiologist by the Portuguese Medical Association, since 1992.
• Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology, since 2001.
• Chief of Clinic at the Coimbra University Hospital, since 2009.
• His current position at the Coimbra University Hospital is Senior Invasive Cardiologist.
• Head of the Cardiology Department at the Coimbra University Hospital Center-General Hospital
In terms of academic position, he is Full Professor of Cardiology, taking full reponsability for the teaching of Cardiology at the University of Coimbra Medical School. He is member of the General Assembly of the University of Coimbra Medical School, since 2017.
He developed several activities for the Portuguese Society of Cardiology as:
• Assistant Secretary of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology (1995-1996).
• Vice-President of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology (2001-2003); (2003-2005); (2011-2013).
• Representative of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology in the UEMS - Cardiology Section (since 2001-2009).
• Board Member of the PCI Working Group of the Portuguese Society of Cardiology (2007-2010).
• President of the XXXIII Portuguese Congress of Cardiology (2012).
• Director of the National Center for Data Collection in Cardiology (2003-2006); (2011-1013).
Since 2011, he is Board member of the Portuguese National Ethics Committee for Clinical Research.
He is co-director of the Harvard Medical School Clinical Research Program in Portugal, since 2011.
In terms of European Affairs, he worked in several committees and institutions related to education, accreditation and certification:
• UEMS – European Union of the Medical Specialists (Cardiology Section)
Steering Committee Member (2001-2008).
Representative of the UEMS-Cardiology Section at the Multidisciplinary Joint Committee of Intensive Care Medicine (2001-2003).
Representative of the UEMS-Cardiology Section at the EBAC (2001-2008).
Secretary of the UEMS-CS (2006-2008).
• EBAC - European Board for Accreditation in Cardiology
Steering Committee Member (2002-2008).
EBAC Chairman (2004-2008).
• ESC - European Society of Cardiology
Board member of the Cellular biology of the heart WG (2005-2010).
Education Committee member (2006-2013).
ESC Board member - Councillor (2008-2010).
Editor-in-Chief of the Reports of the ESC Congress (2009-2013).
Web Advisory Board Member of the ESC (2008-2013).
Chair of the Tasf Force for the development of the ESC web’s search engine (2008-2013).
Chair of the Task Force for the development of the ESC Educational on-line Platform (2010-2013).
ESC Spokeperson on CME/Accreditation/Certification.
• EAPCI- European Association of PCI
Board Member and Chair of the Education Committee (2009-2014).
He was invited to act as a reviewer for the following journals:
• Cardiovascular Research (regular and fast-track reviewer)
• European Heart Journal
• Pharmacol Res
• Molecular Medicine
• Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics
• Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases
• Life Sciences
• Portuguese Journal of Cardiology
• Acta Medica Portuguesa
He received 16 National Scientific awards and he published 37 papers in international peer-reviewed journals and 84 papers in Portuguese journals. He was author or co-author of more than 800 presentations at national and international meetings. He was Associated-Editor for the Percutaneous Interventional Cardiovascular Medicine Textbook (2012), Editorial Board member of the European Heart Journal and Cardiovascular Research, and Invited-Editor for one supplement of Cardiovascular Research and Cardiovascular & Hematological Disorders His main research interests in Cardiovascular Medicine are, coronary artery disease, interventional cardiology, angiogenesis, and stem cells.