Degree in Environmental Engineering (Catholic University of Portugal - Biotechnology College), MSc in Land Reclamation and Restoration (Cranfield University, England) and PhD in Environmental Engineering since 2010 (Faculty of Engineering of Oporto University - FEUP).
FEUP Professor since 2009 at the Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Department. Researcher at Laboratory for Process Engineering, Environment, Biotechnology and Energy (LEPABE, Formerly LEPAE).
The main research interests include the following areas:
1. Alternative feedstocks for biodiesel production
1.1. Selection and Viability Assessment of Waste raw materials
1.2 Agricultural production, Selection and Viability Assessment of Non edible refined oils
2. Development and application of heterogeneous catalysts towards the implementation of more sustainable biodiesel production technologies
3. Improvement of the biodiesel production technology (separation, purification and different alcohol routes (ethanol/methanol)
4. Recovery of crude glycerol from biodiesel production
5. Bioethanol production: first (using alternative raw materials) and second generation routes
6. Biogas production from wastes and by-products of the biofuels production mix
7. Fate of biofuels: biodegradation of biofuels under anaerobic conditions
8. Municipal Waste Management
9. Refuse Derived Fuel