Name Marcus Schmitt-Egenolf
Title MD, PhD, distinguished teacher
Position Professor of dermatovenereology
Address Dep. of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umeå university, SE-901 85 Umeå, Sweden
I am professor in dermatovenereology at Umea university, the most northern medical university in Sweden. I am also currently working for the National Board of Health and Welfare with the national psoriasis guidelines. In Scandinavia, health-registers are a democratic approach to improve public health. This encouraged me to establish the Swedish psoriasis register PsoReg in 2006 and co-found PsoNet together with Luigi Naldi.
I fell in love with dermatology early in life. To look at the skin and immediately recognize a disease fascinated me. After visiting several departments in Germany to find a place for my thesis, I chose Kiel because I felt that I could learn a lot from Enno Christophers and Wolfram Sterry, who offered me a project on T-cell-receptor-rearrangement in psoriasis. I started with my psoriasis research in 1989 in Kiel at the age of 23, so I have been a researcher for the better part of my life. After my medical studies I received an education stipend from the German Research Council and went to Vienna to work with Georg Stingl. Thereafter, I worked at the Charité in Berlin where I completed my training in both dermatovenereology and allergology. In 2001 I was appointed associate professor in dermatovenerology at NTNU, Trondheim, Norway. Since 2002 I have been working in Umea, where I was appointed head of the dermatovenereology division in 2012, professor and distinguished teacher in 2014.
Besides psoriasis I am interested in melanoma, genodermatoses, real-world-evidence and health economy. I am thankful to have learned from and worked with colleagues who were excellent researchers and clinicians. Their commitment to the field of dermatovenereology inspired me. I also enjoy learning from my doctoral students, who have diverse backgrounds like analytics, economy, medicine, nursing and statistics.
Further Current Positions
• Head of the Swedish psoriasis registry PsoReg
• Responsible dermatologist, the National guidelines for psoriasis, the National Board of Health and Welfare (SoS)
• Expert advisor, the Swedish Agency for Health Technology Assessment (SBU)
• Expert advisor, Swedish Medical Products Agency (MPA), the Swedish psoriasis patient organisation
• Head of the dermatology group, Västerbotten county pharmaceutical committee
• Coordinator for the educationally awarded teachers network at Umeå university
• Coordinator for the master thesis (30 ECTS) medicine program, Umeå univ.
• Coordinator for psoriasis research, the medical biobank Umeå
• Steering board of the European psoriasis registry, Psonet
• Editorial board: BMC Dermatology, Clinical Drug Investigation
• Associate Editor: British Journal of Dermatology