– Jul. 94 – Ph.D. in Biotechnology (specialisation in Food Science and Engineering) at College of Biotechnology (ESB), Portuguese Catholic University (UCP), Oporto. Title: Effect of environmental aspects on enzyme heat stability and its application in the development of time temperature integrators (approved unanimously - the institution (ESB) Ph.D. evaluation system is only Approved/Not approved, unanimously or by majority).
– Sep. 90 – Master in Food Science and Engineering, 16/20 (option of Engineering and only the examination component, due to progression directly to PhD.) at ESB.
– Sep. 89 – BSc. in Biochemistry, University of Coimbra (grade: 15.4/20 – 1 student graduated with 16/20 and 3 with 15/20 in his degree/year/university).
– Certified Food Scientist (CFS), # 1503, by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), USA (inaugural class), from 06-01-2013 to 05-31-2018.
– Jun. 98 – present – Assistant Researcher at Chemistry Dept. of University of Aveiro.
– Jan. 98 – Jun. 98 – Invited Assistant Professor (40%) at Instituto Superior de Ciências da Nutrição e da Alimentação (University of Oporto) being in charge of teaching Food Technology, having finished the contract to start his current job at University of Aveiro.
– Dez. 97 – Apr. 98 – Assistant Professor at Instituto Superior de Estudos Interculturais e Transdisciplinares (I.S.E.I.T.), Instituto Piaget, Mirandela.
– Since April 2008, Director of the Bs.C. degree of Biotechnology.
– Elected member of the European High Pressure Research Group (EHPRG) Committee since September 2015 (http://www.ehprg.org/committee.php).
– Elected Nonthermal Processing Division (NPD) Leader Workgroup (Executive Committee) as Member at Large of Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), USA from 1 September 2013 to 31 August 2016.
Research on high pressure (~ 9000 atm) for:
i) cold pasteurization of foods, food properties improvement and new foods production (production of raw- natural-like foods and cold gelification (ex: proteins and starch));
ii) biotechnological applications (simulation of deep see environments (ex: microbial growth in extreme conditions)) and biocatalysis;
iii) cold extraction of natural compounds (ex: pharmaceuticals) under pressure);
iv) hyperbaric preservation of foods.
Supervision or Co-supervision of Post-Graduated Students:
– Pos-Doctoral Fellows: 3 finished; 2 ongoing
– PhD thesis - 6 finished, 14 ongoing
– MSc thesis: > 50 finished, 5 ongoing
– Co-author of 145 SCI papers (h = 23), 1 book and 19 book chapters, 5 patents and delivery more than 25 lectures in scientific meetings.