1986: M.Sc. in experimental physics with experimental work on Medical Physics (Free University, Amsterdam).
1988-1992: Project on the representation of blood flow in thermal models used in hyperthermia treatment planning (UMC Utrecht).
1993: PhD thesis ‘verification of thermal models’ (University of Utrecht).
1992-1997: Development of a system for clinical application of interstitial hyperthermia with spatial power control for improved temperature uniformity in the tumor (UMC Utrecht).
1997-1999: Clinical application of interstitial hyperthermia for brain and prostate implants (UMC Utrecht).
2000-present: Hyperthermia research at the Department of Radiotherapy of the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam with emphasis on system design and treatment planning and project leader for several research projects granted by the Dutch Cancer Society Koningin Wilhelmina Fonds (KWF):
- Development of a dual modality hyperthermia technique for esophageal cancer (project leader KWF project AMC 2002-2622).
- Development of a new 8 antenna deep hyperthermia system for pelvic tumors.
- Clinical validation and application of hyperthermia treatment planning (project leader KWF project UVA 2006-3484 on optimisation of regional hyperthermia delivery using hyperthermia planning).
- KWF project on improved temperature reconstruction technique based on treatment planning to be used during superficial hyperthermia (project leader KWF project UVA 2007-3841).
Dr Crezee published over 100 papers in peer reviewed journals and has a Hirsch-index of 19. He is presently project leader for:
- KWF project on improved treatment delivery using treatment planning and MRI data (UVA 2010-4660).
- KWF project on active hot spot suppression to improve thermal dose and clinical outcome of locoregional hyperthermia treatments (UVA 2012-5393).
- KWF project on improved bladder temperature monitoring during hyperthermia treatments (UVA 2012-5539).
- KWF project on MRI based hyperthermia treatment planning for improved hyperthermia delivery in cervical cancer patients (UVA 2014-7197), project leaders J Crezee, ALHMW van Lier, LJA Stalpers.
- KWF project on irreversible electroporation for locally advanced pancreatic cancer; optimization of clinical treatment by advanced treatment planning (UVA 2014-7244), project leaders MGH Besselink, J Crezee, TM van Gulik.
- Hyperthermia induced synthetic lethality combined with PARP1 inhibition to sensitize radiotherapy and CDDP treatment of Cervical cancer (UVA 2015-7820) project leaders NAP Franken, LJA Stalpers, J Crezee
- Project leader for investment grant NWO-ZonMw medium for a small animal hyperthermia device (project 40-00506-98-16015, principal applicant J. Crezee, co-applicant N.A.P. Franken)
- member “Treatment planning and modelling in hyperthermia” task group of the ESHO in cooperation with a COMAC BME Concerted Action within the 4th Medical and Health Research Programme of the European Commission (1990-1992)
- Supervision of ten PhD students working on hyperthermia treatment planning and system design (1992-present).
- Co-Promotor for Petra Kok (PhD thesis University of Amsterdam 2007).
- Member PhD committee Judith Bergs (University of Amsterdam 2007).
- Principal Investigator (PI) for hyperthermia research at the Department of Radiotherapy of AMC (2008-present).
- Member NWO/STW jury “vernieuwingsimpuls” VIDI for 2008.
- Secretary Hyperthermia Working Group of the Dutch Cancer Society (2008-present).
- Member Quality Assurance committee of the Interdisciplinary Working Group Hyperthermia (IAH) of the German Cancer Society “Atzelsberg circle” (2010-present).
- Collaborator ISTC project 3996 “simultaneous action of radiation and heating” (2010-present)
- Member PhD committee Hana Dobsicek-Trefna (Chalmers University, Göteborg, June 2010).
- Secretary Maurits and Anna de Kock Foundation (2011-present)
- Board member European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology ESHO (2011-2014)
- Member technical committee European Society for Hyperthermic Oncology ESHO (2011-present)
- Host for professor Rolf Issels (Munich), Spinoza chair at University of Amsterdam 8-10 November 2011
- Organisation of 2011 annual meeting Hyperthermia Working Group of the Dutch Cancer Society (Amsterdam, 11 November 2011).
- Co-Promotor for Martijn de Greef (PhD thesis University of Amsterdam 9 February 2012).
- member Scientific Committee of the 11th International Congress of Hyperthermic Oncology (Kyoto 28-31 August 2012).
- Member PhD committee Richard Canters (Erasmus University Rotterdam 2013).
- Editorial Board International Journal of Hyperthermia (2013-present)
- Guest researcher at the Department of signals and systems at Chalmers University, Göteborg, September – December 2013.
- teacher at ESHO school, Huntsham Court, Devon, 3-6 February 2014
- Co-Promotor for Edmond Balidemaj (PhD thesis University of Amsterdam 2016)
- Member PhD committee Marianne Linthorst (Erasmus University Rotterdam 2016)