Carlos Baleizão graduated in Applied Chemistry (Organic Chemistry Major) by the Universidade NOVA de Lisboa in 1999 and completed a PhD degree in Chemistry by the Technical University of Lisbon in 2004 (experimental part at INETI-Portugal and UPV-Spain). Between 2004 and 2007 he was PostDoc fellow at Centro de Química-Física Molecular/Instituto Superior Técnico (Portugal) and Institute of Analytical Chemistry, Chemo- and Biosensors (University of Regensburg, Germany). Between 2008 and 2012 he was Assistant Researcher at IST, and in 2013 he was promoted to Principal Researcher.
2005: Portuguese winner of the International FISOCAT award for Young Researchers (Best PhD thesis in Catalysis) (Catalysis and Porous Materials Division of the Portuguese Chemical Society)
2008: Winner of the “Technical University of Lisbon Young Researchers Prize" in the field of "Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials and Nanotechnology" (based on scientific productivity, citations and impact factor criteria)
2011: Winner of the “Scientific Prizes UTL/Santander Totta 2011" in the field of "Environment, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry" (based on scientific productivity, citations and impact factor criteria)
2012: FCT Investigator - Development grant ("Investigador FCT" 2012 call, Carlos Baleizão was ranked in the first 80 out of 1200 applications from all areas of knowledge with evaluation of the ERC)
2015: Best Young Portuguese Organic Chemist (Honor Mention)
(Organic Chemistry Division of the Portuguese Chemical Society)
2015 and 2016: Excellent Professor
(Pedagogical Council of IST, University of Lisbon)
- Guest Editor of “Polymeric Materials for Optical Apllications” issue to the journal Polymers (Q1, IF=3.364), to be publish in 2017/2018.
- Assistant Editor of the Portuguese Chemical Society Bulletin (2010-2016).
- Co-Chair, 10th National Meeting of the Catalysis and Porous Materials Division of the Portuguese Chemical Society, Portugal, May 2016
- co-Chair of "ChemULisboa - Novos desafios da Química na nova ULisboa" (April-July 2014).
- co-Chair of "4 Jornadas Ibéricas de Fotoquímica (4'JIF)", Lisboa, Portugal, June 29-July 2 of 2014.
- co-Founder (2008) and co-President (2008-2010) of the Young Chemists Group of the Portuguese Chemical Society.
- Chairman of the 1st Portuguese Young Chemists Meeting (1PYCheM), Lisboa, Portugal, 15 to 17 of October 2008.