Dr. Marco Sebastiani received a PhD in mechanical and industrial engineering in 2008 from university of Rome “Roma TRE”, studying the architecture design and nano-mechanical behavior of thin coatings for advanced mechanical applications, with prof. Edoardo Bemporad.
He was then appointed as an assistant professor of Materials Science at the University of “Roma TRE”, working on the development of innovative methodologies for residual stress assessment in thin films and small-scale devices, by the use of Focused Ion Beam (FIB) and nanoindentation techniques.
He is lecturer of “Materials and Technologies for Aerospace Engineering” and “Materials Science and Technologies for bioengineering” at the University of “Roma TRE” and has been advisor or co-advisor of about ten master/bachelor degree theses.
His major research efforts are in the fields of surface engineering, micro-device development, thin films and small scale mechanical behavior, and can be briefly summarized as follows:
1) Micron-scale residual stress analysis, through the development of innovative micron-scale methods for residual stress analysis by a focused ion beam (FIB) approach. He is now the coordinator of a European team for the standardization of such methods.
2) Nano-mechanical characterization of advanced materials and devices by the use of nanoindentation testing. To discover the microstructure/properties correlations in thin films and small scale devices, with focus on toughness and failure modes of nanostructured coatings, indentation size effects, thin film hardness, residual stress and mechanical behavior of MEMS and nanoparticles.
3) Thin film modeling and production. Design, production and characterization of complex multilayered thin films for wear resistant and functional applications.
His research results in fact led to:
• the award of a TENURED Faculty Position as assistant professor (RTD-b) at university of “Roma TRE”, 2017;
• the role of Coordinator and Principal Investigator of the large collaborative project OYSTER (H2020 NMBP-07-2017, Grant Agreement N. 760827, starting Dec 1st 2017);
• the role of Coordinator and Principal Investigator of the large collaborative project ISTRESS (FP7-NMP-2013-LARGE-7, Grant Agreement N. 604646, starting Jan 1st 2014);
• the role of Editor of the Elsevier Journal “Materials and Design” (IF 4.50);
• the award of a Fulbright Research Scholarship that was spent at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville (UTK) and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL, USA), February to August 2014;
• the publication of 78 papers on high-impact international journals with an h-index of 20 and more than 1300 citations (Scopus: author ID: 7005846216);
• Two best paper Awards at international conferences (ICACC 2007 and ITSC 2009)
• Invitations to be member of the organizing committees of International Conferences and Meetings (among them: TMS 2017, ICMCTF 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018, SMT-XXX 2016, SMT XXXIII 2019, and NANOMEASURE 2014);
• Member of the Editorial Board of “Surface Engineering” (2012-2016, peer reviewed journal, IF 1.6);
• Invitations as reviewer for International Journals (more than 100 reviews up to now, in high impact factor journals).