1. PERSONAL DATA
Rui Manuel Soares Dias - Associated Professor
Institution: Department of Geosciences and Geophysical Centre of Évora, ECT/IIFA, University of Évora, 7002-554, Portugal
Phone: + 351 268 334 285: Fax: + 351 268 339 048; E-mail: [email protected]
2. CURRENT SCIENTIFIC AND / OR PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
● since 2008, Executive Director of Estremoz Science Centre
● since 2008, President of the Tectonic and Structural Geology Group of the Portuguese Geological Society
● since 1998, Associated Professor, Department of Geosciences, Évora University
● since 1998, Director of the Research Laboratory of Industrial and Ornamental Rocks (LIRIO) of Évora University
3. PRESENT RESEARCH INTERESTED
Structural geology and tectonics.
Variscan Orogeny in Iberia and correlation with Moroccan segments.
Alpine reactivation of variscan structures
Eastern Timor geodynamics and Arc-Continent collision regimes.
Interaction between folding and fracturing in the deformation of accretionary wedges
Deformation in Transpressive regimes.
Finite strain analysis.
4. HONOURS / GUEST LECTURES / STATE-OF-THE-ART PRESENTATIONS
In the last 5 years: Invited speaker in several national and international conferences and workshops: 12+
We like to emphasize:
● R. Dias & C. Coke (16/01/2012). "Strike slip tectonics in arc-continent collision; the Eastern Timor Example "; in I International Congress of Geology of Eastern Timor, Dili (Eastern Timor).
● R. Dias (16th to 20th January 2012). Coordinator of the symposium "Structural-stratigraphic relationships at the boundary of the Lolotoi Metamorphic Complex, Timor-Leste: field evidence against an allochthonous origin" integrated in the I International Congress of Geology of Eastern Timor, Dili (Eastern Timor).
● R. Dias (30th September to 5th October 2012). Coordinator of the thematic symposium SP4 "Evolução Paleozóica do Gondwana" integrated in the 46º Congress of Geology of Brazil, Santos (Brazil)
● R. Dias (30th September to 5th October 2012). Coordinator of the special forum F3 "100 Anos com Alfred Wegener: da Deriva Continental à Tectónica de Placas" integrated in the 46º Congress of Geology of Brazil, Santos (Brazil)
PI in 7 national and international research and more than 20, also national and international science divulgation projects
6. MAIN ACADEMIC AND SCIENTIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES (UNIVERSITY BOARDS AND NATIONAL BOARDS)
● 2010 and 2012; Evaluator of FCT for the PhD and post-Graduate grants.
● Since 03/2009 Vice-Director of Earth and Space Sciences PhD Program of Évora University
● Since 01/2009; Scientific Council of the Sciences and Technology School of Évora University.
● from 07/2010 to 12/2012; Senate of Évora University
● from 2009 to 2013, Vice-Director of the Sciences and Technology School of Évora University
● 11/1999-11/2001; Director of Geosciences Department
● 11/1999-11/2001; Director of the Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences of Évora University
7. SUPERVISOR EXPERTISE
● Supervision and Co-supervision of 3 finished PhD thesis in the Lisboa, Minho and Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro universities; one of the thesis concerns the Moroccan Variscides and had the support of El Jadida and Meknes Universities.
● 2 PhD thesis are in course in Évora and Lisboa Universities.
● Supervision and co-supervision of 20 finished scientific MsC thesis in the Évora, Lisboa, Nova de Lisboa, Minho and Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro universities; six of the thesis concerns the Moroccan Variscides and had the support of El Jadida University, while three concerns the geodynamic evolution of Eastern Timor and had the support of the Eastern Timor National University.
● 3 MsC thesis are in course in Évora Universities.