António Salgado PhD is a biologist and received is PhD in Materials Science and Engineering- Tissue Engineering and Hybrid Materials, from the University of Minho in 2005. His PhD work consisted on the development of novel bone tissue engineering strategies based on starch based 3D scaffold and was carried out in the 3B’s Research Group in collaboration with the National University of Singapore and University of Toronto. In 2005 he started a post-doc at the University of Toronto, which was then continued at the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS) at University of Minho, dedicated to CNS regeneration. Currently he is aPrincipal Investigator at the Life and Health Sciences Research Institute (ICVS), School of Health Sciences, University of Minho. His research interests are focused on the development of innovative therapies for CNS repair. His main areas of research are: 1) Development of ECM like hydrogels for the transplantation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells into the injured CNS; 2) Role of the secretome of MSCs in neuroprotection and repair and 3) Modulation of MSCs secretome through bioreactor based approaches. He is currently an author of 57 papers (h-index=19), with over 1750 citations and an accumulated impact factor of 222. He currently supervises 2 post-docs and 8 post-graduation students. As a group leader he has so far obtained 850,000€ of competitive funding from national and international agencies. He is an serves as a Biomaterials Editor for Biomed Research International and he is an Associate Editor of Biochimie. He has also been a guest editor for Current Stem Cells Research and Therapy and Biochimie, and an ad-hoc reviewer for more than 30 international journals and 10 international funding agencies. In 2008 he received the Gulbenkian Award on Cutting Edge Research in Life Sciences, for his project focused on unveiling the neuroregulatory molecules present in the secretome of mesenchymal stem cells. More recently, in 2013, he received the Prize Melo e Castro for Spinal Cord Injury Research, awarded by the Santa Casa de Misericórida de Lisboa.