ORCID provides the following features for free:
- Individuals may register, maintain, and share their ORCID identifier and associated ORCID record data
- Individuals may receive updates to their ORCID record, such as linkages to published manuscripts in which they included their ORCID iD during the submission and review process
- Individuals may enter nominations for ORCID Steering Groups and Working Groups
- The community may access an annual data file of public information, available on the ORCID Web site
- Organizations may integrate ORCID iDs into research systems and workflows using the Public API
- Registration and participation (and lunch!) at twice-annual Outreach meetings
Membership is important because:
ORCID is a non-profit organization funded through organizational membership and subscription fees. To sustain the registry and our mission of addressing the name ambiguity problem in scholarly communications, we rely on membership and subscription funding from the research community.
Members receive these benefits:
Members receive access to the Member API, personalized technical support, integrated application user acceptance testing, a monthly newsletter, and invitations to public events hosted by ORCID. In addition, members also may enter nominations for service on the ORCID Board. See this Member Comparison table for more detail.
Please review the category and benefits descriptions below for the one that best fits your circumstances. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com
ORCID offers two membership/subscription categories for organizations: basic and premium. Non-profit organizations are eligible for a 20% member fee discount on basic or premium membership fees. To encourage small and start-up organizations to embed iDs, organizations with less than US$ 200,000 in revenue in their last fiscal year are eligible for a 75% discount on basic or premium membership. Discounts will be evaluated at each membership renewal. Non-profit and start-up discounts are not applied to premium consortium agreements.
|Member Category||Help me choose||Fees|
|License||Benefit||Help me choose|
|Trusted Party||Organization can facilitate registration, deposit, edit, and update Record Data and/or read Limited Access Data, with permission from an individual ORCID iD holder ("opt-in")||Many employers are using the Trusted Party license to facilitate the creation of ORCID records for their faculty and staff. Members have found this license to be in agreement with national data transfer regulations.|
|Creator||Employers can bulk-create ORCID records for claim by their faculty, students, or staff. Upon claim, individuals assume management of their record and may re-set privacy and delegation settings ("opt-out")||Creator agreements require the member to make representations and warranties regarding consent of the individual for whom a record is created and to agree to indemnity provisions.|