Dr. Gopal Krishan is currently Scientist-C, at National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee and Ex-Researcher-Indo Gangetic Basin, Groundwater Resilience Project, British Geological Survey, United Kingdom. Dr. Gopal has over fifteen years of research experience in many facets of hydrological evaluations, surface water and ground water hydrology project management, and field investigations. Before joining NIH, he worked at IIRS-ISRO, Dehradun for 3 years in National Land Degradation, National Landuse/landcover and National Carbon Projects sponsored by Department of Space.
Dr. Gopal received his PhD. in Soil Science and Water Management from Dr. Y.S. Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan, Himachal Pradesh in 2001. He focused his doctoral research on development of biofertilizer technology. Dr. Gopal is a Dr. Gopal is a fellow member of Society of Earth Scientists (F/486), Life member of “Indian Association of Hydrologists (IAH-1878) and member of Indian Society of Remote Sensing (C-3299) and American Water Resources Association (55384).
Dr. Gopal has developed skills in Isotope Hydro-meteorology and the work was presented in several International and national forums in India as well as abroad, hydro-geochemistry and water quality studies. He has also imparted training on instrumentation at IIRS-ISRO and on Isotope Hydrology and groundwater investigations in various training programmes. Presently, he is guiding 2 PhD students and has guided 1 MTech and 1 MSc student. Dr. Gopal has research expertise in applying isotope in air moisture studies for resolving sources of air moisture, monitoring south-west monsoon, identifying recharge sources, developed natural baseline for water quality, identifying zones for sub-marine groundwater discharge in coastal areas. He has published more than 160 research papers in international/national journals and conferences, 1 book, 11 book chapters, news letter and 7 reports.
He has research interest in isotope applications in SW monsoon monitoring, tracking recharge source, surface-water groundwater interaction, studying emerging organic contaminant in groundwater in urban areas.
He has received following awards and honours:
BEST PRACTICE RESEARCH AWARD in International conference and Exhibition on Innovative Technologies and field applications for Sustainable water, wastewater & energy management-SWWEM-16, during 17-19 August, 2016 IISC, Bangalore; ITS, DST. New Delhi-Travel support to USA; Certificate of appreciation: AWRA-2012, USA; Certificate of best presentation in a session-Peas-2012, Faculty of engineering, GKVV, Haridwar; Merit Scholarship in 10th, 10+1, 10+2, BSc (1st), MSc, PhD
Dr. Gopal has been full members of the SCOR Working Group on Global Groundwater Fluxes to the Ocean for year 2015. He is member International Advisory Board of many journals and has been the reviewer of many peer reviewed reputed journals like Plos One, Journal of Hydrology, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Hydrological Sciences, Quaternary International, Arabian Journal of Geosciences (Springer), Journal of Earth System & Science (Springer), Sustainable Water Resource Management (Springer), Applied Water Science (Springer), Environ Sciences group, Journal of Agricultural Sciences (International), African Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, International Journal of Agricultural Policy & Research, International Research Journal of Public and Environmental Health, Journal of Indian Association of Hydrologists, Journal of Agricultural Science and Food Technology
• Member International Advisory Board –International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences
• Senior Editor – Current World Environment
• Reviewer of the Journals: Journal of Hydrology, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Hydrological Sciences, Quaternary International, Journal of Earth System & Science, Environ Sciences group, Journal of Agricultural Sciences (International), African Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, International Journal of Agricultural Policy & Research, Journal of Indian Association of Hydrologists
• Member Technical committees of international Conferences “ICWRCOE-2015” held at NITK, Suratkhal, Mangalore during March 12-14, 2015 and “ICEE-2015” held at NIT-Coimbatore during March 20-21, 2015
• Member Advisory committee National Conference on “ Advances in Civil and Structural Engineering” Sponsored by Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP Phase II) held during 18-19 April, 2014 at Govt. college of Engineering, Karad, Maharastra
• Member Coordination and Editorial committee of international conference “Advances in Water Resources Development and Management-2013” held during Oct. 23-27, 2013 at PU, Chandigarh
• Member coordination committee of Regional workshop on “Water availability and management in Punjab” held at PU Chandigarh during Dec. 13-15, 2010