Identifiers and Intellectual Property Workshop
On 22 June, ORCID, Crossref, and the OECD are co-hosting a workshop to review current challenges presented by ambiguous names in patent databases, post-hoc disambiguation efforts, and explore how unique identifiers are starting to be used to improve the utility of the patent file for both patent prosecution and policy research.
To this end, we will bring together economists, statisticians, policy experts, industry IP officers, IP attorneys, identifier providers, and IP system providers to discuss benefits, opportunities, and incentives for adoption and integration of identifiers by patent authorities and IP workflow and search platforms.
Meeting Room CC24
2 Rue André Pascal
Paris, France (map)
The OECD has negotiated special rates with hotels near the OECD offices in Paris. Reservations can be made directly with the hotels via email or telephone by asking for OECD rates. For a complete list of hotels, please click here.
10:00 Overview of workshop objectives and delegate introductions
10:30 Challenges with “names” in the patent file
- Harmonizing Pantentees Towards Unique Identifiers, Julie Callaert (KU Leuven)
- Linked Inventor Biography Data: A New Method of Inventor Disambiguation, Matthias Dorner (Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition)
11:00 Impact of name ambiguity on policy research and patent prosecution>
- Name Ambiguity in IP Analysis Ingrid Baele (Philips Intellectual Property Standards)
- USPTO PatentsView: A Disambiguated Resource for Policy Research, Evgeny Klochikhin (AIR)
11:30 What are identifiers and how are they being used by the research community?
- Identifiers and Intellectual Property: About ORCID, Laure Haak (ORCID)
- Identifiers and Metadata Enable Connections, Ed Pentz (Crossref)
- Using Identifiers in Patent Databases, Osmat Jefferson (QUT & The Lens)
14:00 Discussion. How could/are identifiers used in the patenting process?
- Moderated by Mariagrazia Squicciarini (OECD) and featuring short presentations from Laurence Joly, Chief Economist (INPI France), Yann Meniere (EPO), Rich Corken (UK IPO), and Andy Toole (USPTO)
16:45 Summarize next steps