Job Opening: Senior Director
WHO WE ARE
ORCID (https://orcid.org/) is an independent non-profit organization that serves the global research community. Our core mission is to connect research and researchers. We do this by providing an identifier for individuals to use with their name as they engage in research, scholarship, and innovation activities; by providing tools and training to the community for integrating these identifiers into research workflows; and by building and sustaining a community of users and adopters. We have a strong focus on user control and privacy. Launched in October 2012, there are now over 7,500,000 ORCID registrants, more than 1,100 organizational members, and over 30 staff members in 15 countries. Our website and Registry (orcid.org) are published in 12 languages.
ORCID is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization grounded by our core values: we are open, transparent. collaborative, global, diverse, inclusive, trusted, and persistent. We are committed to our values and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Our team is diverse, and based around the globe.
ABOUT THE ROLE
ORCID is maturing as an organization and we are seeking a Senior Director to contribute to the success of our organization as part of the senior management team. The Senior Director is a new role in the organization, envisioned to provide a range of high level leadership, management and executive, secretariat, and project support services to the Executive Director. The Senior Director manages the Product, Communications, and Engagement functions of the organization and is a trusted advisor to the Executive Director, coordinating and streamlining activities within the organization based on agreed priorities, including team development, organizational change management, internal communications, and inter-team collaboration and taking on day-to-day program management tasks that enable the Executive Director to focus on strategic organizational initiatives. As for all ORCID staff, this position is remote. The position is full time and requires availability for meetings with at least 4 hours of overlap with the US Eastern time zone.
- Assist the Executive Director in the development of teams and leaders, including definition of roles and responsibilities and processes to facilitate effective decision-making and organizational resilience and innovative capacity
- Foster and maintain cross-departmental relationships to enable effective leadership and organizational success
- Manage the Product, Communications, and Engagement Directors
- With senior management, develop, implement, and monitor key goals, report on strategic, operational and project plans to inform decision making and support achievement of organizational objectives
- Manage regular leadership team meetings, including agendas and progress reporting
- Act as an adviser to the Executive Director and senior management team and provide direct support to all levels of managers in our ongoing organizational values work
- Partner with the Executive Director on annual strategic planning work, including program management financial and staffing plans, performance evaluation, and the annual staff retreat
ORCID is seeking an accomplished team player who has at least 10 years of experience, including at least 3 years managing direct reports and medium size teams, for a leadership role supporting team development, strategy implementation, and change management. Specific requirements include:
- Proven leadership and management skills and the ability to motivate and develop teams from different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and excellent active listening skills
- Team player able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Ability to establish and maintain strong peer-to-peer and management relationships
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- Forward looking, flexible, and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations
- Organized with a natural inclination for executing strategy
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization, including providing frank and honest feedback and advice.
- Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools, and project lifecycle
- Experience working in a non-profit mission-driven organization
- An entrepreneurial self-starter, able to work independently and enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- English fluency (written and verbal), additional languages a plus
- Experience working in a virtual office environment and ability to travel on a global scale about 20% time.
- A committed and awesome team serving a community-driven organization
- Competitive compensations and benefits
- Flexible work hours and tools to support our virtual office environment
- Work from anywhere
- Budget to choose your preferred laptop and software you need
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].