Job Opening: UX Designer
ORCID is looking for a seasoned UX expert to ensure the people we serve have an excellent experience. This role will be responsible for gathering input from users and members, crafting user journeys, and working with our team to translate these journeys into practical UX solutions. We need someone with excellent communications skills, proven design talent and a whole bundle of enthusiasm to Make Things Better. ORCID has over 7 million researcher accounts and thousands of member integrations using our APIs. Your job will be to make sure they're happy to be here.
The UX designer reports to the Product Director and is part of the ORCID Product team. This position works across the organisation, is full time (40 hour/week) and, like all positions at ORCID, is remote.
- Create specifications and designs for UX/UI improvements
- Contribute to the design and architecture of our website and documentation
- Design and implement processes to gather feedback from ORCID Registry users via analytics, A/B testing, surveys, observation and other means
- Work with the Engagement, Communications and Researcher Services team members to extract and manage user feedback from support tickets, member interactions and other channels
- Work with the Technical team to develop and deploy UX improvements
- Work with the Product Manager to leverage results from user testing, analytics data and user/member feedback to curate and prioritise the roadmap
- Ensure metrics are in place to assess progress and the impact of change
- Work across the organisation to champion user needs and rally people behind UX improvements
- Propose and execute project based user experience work in line with ORCID’s strategic goals and values
- 3+ years experience in UX, with thorough understanding of interaction design fundamentals
- 1+ years experience designing and running user testing and other qualitative customer validation
- Tech-savvy, detail-oriented and personable
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and one or more prototyping tools, such as Adobe XD, Sketch, or InVision
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices and testing tools
- Experience writing specifications, creating mock-ups and working with developers
- Understanding of the software development life-cycle, preferably in an Agile environment
- Experience with HTML and CSS, demonstrated by portfolio and/or work samples
- Exceptional communication skills and a strong work ethic; ability to work independently, prioritize effectively and get things done in a dynamic, unstructured environment
- Able to work during Europe and US business hours (at least half the working day should be between 12p-8p UTC)
- Ability to travel based on business needs (approximately once a quarter)
- Fluency in English is required. A second language is a plus.
- Experience in the scholarly publishing or academic community
Nice to have requirements
- Experience with graphic design and/or illustration
- Experience with wordpress
- Experience with business intelligence platforms
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Experience working in a remote / virtual office
- A committed and awesome team serving a community-driven organization
- Competitive compensations and benefits based on experience and location
- Flexible work hours and tools to support our virtual office environment
- Work from anywhere
- Budget to choose your preferred laptop and software you need
ORCID (https://orcid.org) is a non-profit organization that serves the research community, with an international and interdisciplinary scope. Our core mission is to solve the name ambiguity problem in scholarly communications. We address this mission by maintaining a persistent registry of unique identifiers, providing tools and training to the community for integrating these identifiers into research workflows, and by building and sustaining a community of users and adopters.
Interested? Send a cover letter, your resume, links to your portfolio and/or work examples and a snowman joke to [email protected].