I graduated in Physics from the University of Zaragoza in June 2001. In September 2001 I joined the University of Twente, The Netherlands (2001-2005), where I got the PhD. My work focused on the development of a novel sensor radio frequency (RF) based on microtechnology, being part of a European project (IST-2000-28261). The research concluded with the successful development of the sensor proposed, and led to the writing of 5 SCI articles (all as first author), 2 articles in conferences with strict evaluation (2 as first author) and 9 papers in international conferences (5 as the first author). During my PhD I was invited by the research centre IMEC, in Belgium, to work for 7 months in the development of new RF sensing strategies based on piezoelectrics.
In 2005 I was hired by Ikerlan, a technology centre, joining the Microsystem department to develop new microfabrication strategies for Lab-On-a-Chip (LOC) platforms. During the first two years I managed to develop diagnostic devices based on low-cost polymers, being co-author of three patents in the topic. In 2008 I became a partner in the company. During the next three years I participated in 5 European projects, 8 national projects and 2 projects with private companies. As a result of the research conducted in Ikerlan until 2010, I authored 9 SCI articles and a total of 6 patents.
In 2010 I was awarded with the Ramón y Cajal fellowship. I then joined the University of Zaragoza, where I still continue my research career at the moment. My work focuses on the development of microfluidic devices for biomedical application, focusing on biomimetic systems for cell culture assays. After 4 years of research I have written three new patents, one of which is licensed to the company EBERS (P201231532), and another is being used for the marketing of a diagnostic system for drugs in saliva company ALPHASIP (P201230957). During this last period I have also written 8 new articles in SCI journals, making a total of 22 during my career. During these four years I have now obtained 19 projects as principal investigator, and a national Project coordinated with 3 Spanish centres, taking the role as the principal investigator and coordinator. Overall, in the past four years I have managed projects as principal investigator with total funding of approximately 700,000 euros. I am currently authored of 9 patents and 1 know-how transfer*.
During my research work I have directed one doctoral thesis, 9 final projects, 8 Master Thesis project, and for the last two years I have been teaching in the department of mechanical engineering at the University of Zaragoza.
*1. Title: PROCESO DE ENCAPSULADO Y PROTOTIPADO DE MICROAGUJAS DE SU-8 PARA LA MONITORIAZACIÓN Y ESTIMULACIÓN NEURONAL. 2013
Modalidad de know-how: Yes
2. Title: DISPOSITIVO Y MÉTODO DE ENCAPSULADO DE SISTEMAS MICROFLUÍDICOS. 2012. P201231532
3. Title: DISPOSITIVO DE CULTIVO CELULAR Y MÉTODO ASOCIADO A DICHO DISPOSITIVO. 2012. P201230911-PCT/ES13/000141
4. Title: Tarjeta de diagnóstico desechable y dispositivo electrónico de lectura. 2012. 201230957
5. Title: Microcámara y dispositivo de cultivo celular monitorizables por resonancia magnética nuclear. 2010. P201030382
6. Title: Metodo de fabricacion de dispositivos microfluidicos. . 2010. 300012804 / PCT/ES2010/070468
7. Title: Metallization process to obtain a microelectrode on a photopatternable substrate and ist biomedica application on an organ transplant monitoring device. 2009. WO 2009/098242 A1
8. Title: Microagujas de SU-8 para la monitorización y la estimulación neuronal. 2009. P200930430
9. Title: Dispositivo de separación selectiva de micro-elementos en suspensión mediante ultrasonidos. 2008. PCT/ES2008/070230
10. Title: Dispositivos de control micro-nanofluidicos. 2007. PCT/ES2007/000622