Muscle physiologist specialising in energetic aspects of skeletal and cardiac muscle, and with a particular focus on muscle efficiency. Major technique used is measurement of muscle heat production using ultra-sensitive thermal sensors (thermopiles) that are constructed in our laboratory.
Research area: Physiology of skeletal and cardiac muscle
- muscle energy consumption
- muscle efficiency
- muscle heat production
- measurement of muscle energy output as heat and work
- development of software for data acquisition and analysis
- mathematical modelling of contraction processes, diffusion and biochemical kinetics
- fabrication of thermal microsensors (thermopiles, thin-film techniques, antimony-bismuth thermocouples).
• Barclay, C. J. (2015). Energetics of contraction. Comprehensive Physiology 5, 961-995.