Job Opening: Senior Java Backend Engineer
WHO WE ARE
ORCID (https://orcid.org/) is an independent non-profit organization that serves the global research community. Our core mission is to connect research and researchers. We do this by providing an identifier for individuals to use with their name as they engage in research, scholarship, and innovation activities; by providing tools and training to the community for integrating these identifiers into research workflows; and by building and sustaining a community of users and adopters. We have a strong focus on user control and privacy. Launched in October 2012, there are now over 7,000,000 ORCID registrants, more than 1,100 organizational members, and over 30 staff members in 15 countries. Our website and Registry (orcid.org) are published in 12 languages.
ORCID is a mission-driven organization grounded by our core values: we are open, transparent. collaborative, global, diverse, inclusive, trusted, and persistent. We are committed to our values and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
ORCID is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated team member with exceptional communication skills to join our Technical Team. The successful candidate will join a small development team to develop back end functionality for new features, bug fixes, and maintenance of the ORCID Registry and APIs, and related projects. This position is full-time (40 hour/week) starting from January 2020 and reports to the Tech Lead. As for all ORCID staff, this is a remote position.
Working with other software developers and QA specialists, the Senior Java Backend Engineer will be responsible for implementing back end code to support new features defined by the Product Team, bug fixes, and perform maintenance upgrades. The successful candidate will also be comfortable with the ops part of devops, and be happy to work hands-on with server configuration. The key responsibilities are listed below.
- Backend development from Java to database.
- Server side scripting in Linux environments.
- Server configuration, for example, using Puppet.
- Work with the ORCID Tech Lead to develop and improve the ORCID Registry.
- Author use-cases, technical/functional requirements, flowcharts, diagrams, code, tests and documentation.
- Participate actively in iterative development meetings (stand-ups, kick-offs, retrospectives), and design sessions with project teams and working groups.
- Collaborate with team members, consultants, designers, the development community and users to provide accurate estimations, timelines, and risks.
- Collaborate in the finding of bugs and areas of improvement in the current ORCID Registry.
- Contribute back to the open-source community through code and documentation.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Able to work during Europe and US business hours (at least half the working day should be between 1200-2000 UTC) including making twice-weekly meetings at 1500 UTC
- Java JDK 8+
- Spring MVC, Spring Security, Spring Boot
- RESTful Web Services
- Writing, troubleshooting and optimizing SQL queries
- Server side scripting, for example, using Python
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible or other server configuration management tools.
- Version control tools such as Git.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Motivated, results-driven, with high-level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- 5+ years development experience
- Experience extracting actionable recommendations from feedback and data, and communicating it to stakeholders
- Motivated and results-driven, with a high-level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative
- Ability to travel internationally at least once a year
- Proactive in suggesting new tools and solutions
NICE TO HAVE
- Contributions to open source community
- HTML5 and CSS3
- Angular 2 or higher
- Fluency in languages other than English
- A committed and awesome team serving an engaged community
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Flexible work hours and tools to support our virtual office environment
- A laptop with operating system of your choice will be provided
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. In your letter please include a pirate joke.